Fall Prevention Tips for Seniors
According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, a senior (age 65+) suffers a fall in the United States every second of every day. This alarming statistic sheds light on the fact that falls are the leading cause of injury and death for seniors in this age group. That is why taking precautions to help reduce your risk of falling at home is so important.
Fortunately, there are ways you can reduce your risk of falls in your home. Whether you make small adjustments to your home to improve its safety or you utilize a piece of fall prevention technology, there are many solutions to help you reduce your risk of experiencing a fall.
How to Prevent Falls at Home
Your home can inadvertently put you in harm’s way as you age. Here are some changes you can make to your home that can help you avoid falls:
- Install Handrails – Installing handrails in your stairway, hallway and pathways can help you keep your balance when you’re navigating through your home and using the stairs.
- Update Bathrooms – It can be difficult to get in and out of the bathtub each day. To help, install grab bars near your toilet and in your bathtub and shower. You can also help reduce your risk of a fall in the bathroom by placing non-skid mats, strips or carpet on all surfaces that may get wet.
- Install Additional Lighting – You can easily enhance the visibility of your entire home by adding night lights to each room to keep them well-lit. It may also be helpful to keep a flashlight near your bed in case you need to move around in the dark.
- Utilize Fall Prevention Technology – There is a variety of technological devices available that you can utilize to keep you safe at home. Ethos Home Care offers patients a variety of at-home technology options, including telehealth kits, personal emergency response devices and medication management tools.
Fall Prevention Technology from Ethos Home Care
At Ethos Home Care, we provide our patients with a variety of fall prevention technology options to improve their health and stay connected with their doctors and loved ones. The technology we provide include:
- Telehealth Kits – Your telehealth kit includes a tablet that you can use to easily call or video call a nurse when you need care. The tablet can also be used to manage your symptoms related to an illness or chronic health condition. Your tablet may also come with a blood pressure cuff, pulse oximeter and scale. A nurse will monitor your vitals through Bluetooth technology and reach out to you if there are concerns. Knowing someone is looking out for your health can give you peace of mind as you go about your day.
- Personal Emergency Response Device – Our personal emergency response devices are a great tool to use in the event that you experience a fall or have an emergency while at home. If you find that you need help, all you have to do is press a button on your emergency response device and your information will be sent to our Emergency Response Center. Ethos Care offers a variety of personal emergency response options that cater to the specific needs of aging adults. Some of these include fall protection, two-way communication and GPS.
- Medication Management – This at-home technology option is designed for individuals who are taking multiple medications every day. If you find that you occasionally forget to take your medications on time, our medication management technology may be able to help you maintain a consistent schedule. The technology will provide reminders when you need to take your medications and dispense them for you. Medication set-up services are also available from the Ethos nursing team.
Feel Safer at Home with Ethos Home Care
At Ethos Home Care, we’re here to help you feel safe and secure in your home and to ensure you’re getting the care you require. Whether you’re looking to monitor your overall health or simply to reduce your risk of experiencing a fall at home, Ethos Home Care is here for you.
Contact us today to learn more about the fall prevention technology we have available and how Ethos Home Care can help you feel safer at home.